Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Surrendering the Key

"Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom." -Sir Francis Bacon
Silence is most certainly golden. I don’t mean gilded in gold, with a pristine lacquer jacket and rusted inner organs. No, I’m talking about pure, 100%, bonafide, 24k gold. The kind of gold that runs for $1159.20 USD per oz (on a good day).

Friends, for an experiment that was supposed to last a total of 21 days (the Wikipedia-guaranteed time minimum for habit-breaking)… I have been silent for 21 days AND four months.

During this extended time of reflection I have laughed more than I can remember laughing in eons, and I have had enough adventures to take me contentedly into 2015.

I learned a different kind of bravery when I single-handedly brought down the house with a moving rendition of Barbara Streisand’s “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and an encore performance of Ella Fitzgerald’s “Summertime.” Red-faced, clammy-handed, and grinning from ear to ear, I took a bow before a ship-full of strangers and laughed, delighted, when the pianist kissed my hand and called me dahhhhling, with just the right amount of accent. It was truly the cruise of a lifetime.

I cultivated quality time with family. Board games, card games, and crossword puzzles, I played them all. The ensuing movie nights, family dinners, sports games, cleaning sprees, impromptu family extravaganzas, time spent with the people I love made all of the silent hours worth it.

Finally, the most important thing that I did during my silent, self-imposed hiatus, was to practice loving myself. I took advantage of the silence and remembered the things that make me a unique and valued individual. I relearned the hopes, the dreams and the deep-dark cries of my heart and for the first time in a long time, I listened.

Silence is indeed golden.


If you are anything like me, you are currently spending too much time spinning tall tales, too much time laughing at the jokes of others, and not enough time making memories of your own. Here is the good news, its not too late to learn the truth. In the words of Lao Tzu, “Silence is a source of great strength.”

Until now, I’ve been caught up in the crazy-wonderful-heartbeat of good-intentions until a few of my quickly spoken words became too bitter to swallow back down. In the past few months of silence I have done MORE. I have loved MORE. I have laughed MORE. And I have lived MORE.

And here is the best update of all…

While I was busy keeping this wicked tongue of mine silent, I turned inward and set myself (and my pen) loose on my greatest adventure to date. For every word that I have deprived you of, my friends, I have given my story two. For every page of travels I have forsaken in silence, I have taken my characters to places of new heights.

The time has come. This year has been a journey to top all journeys, and an adventure to be remembered. I thank you all for the love and support, and the words of encouragement. I am proud to announce that my 1st novel is nearly complete! In my silence I found the voice I had been missing for a while. My own.

Beloved, place a guard over the cover of your mouth and throw away the key. Give it to your husband, your wife, your significant other, your sister, your brother, your best friend. Or best of all, give it to your God for safe-keeping, and listen, what you hear when you are silent just may surprise you.



*      *      *

“He who has knowledge uses words with restraint: and a man of understanding is even-tempered.”  (Proverbs 17:27)

1 comment: